Developing card services at Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 1
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION AND TRAINING UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMIC HO CHI MINH CITY.
PHAN THI NGOC HAN
CARD SERVICE DEVELOPMENT AT COMMERCIAL BANK
VIETNAM JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Major: Finance - Banking Code: 60340201
MASTER THESIS OF ECONOMY
SCIENTIFIC GUIDE: Assoc.Prof.Dr. ROYAL VIRTUE
HO CHI MINH CITY – 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Maybe you are interested!
- Developing card services at Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 2
- Criteria For Evaluating The Development Of Card Services In The Bank
- The Current Situation Of Card Service Development At Vietabank Compared To The Development Target
Cover page The Promise
Table of Contents i
List of acronyms iv
List of tables and figures
CHAPTER 1: OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH TOPIC 1
1.1 Urgency of the research topic 1
1.2 Research purpose 2
1.3 Academic overview 2
1.4 Subjects and scope of research 4
1.5 Research Methods 4
1.6 Practical significance of the topic 4
1.7 References 5
1.8 Dissertation layout 5
CHAPTER 2: BASIC ISSUES ABOUT CARDS AND CARD SERVICE DEVELOPMENT AT COMMERCIAL BANK 6.
2.1 The formation and development of bank cards 6
2.1.1 Card concept: 6
2.1.2 Origin of the 6 . card
2.1.3 Card role: 7
22.214.171.124 For 7 . users
126.96.36.199 For Bank 8
188.8.131.52 For businesses 9
2.1.4 Subjects participating in the use of card services : 9
184.108.40.206 International card organization 9
220.127.116.11 Card issuing bank 10
18.104.22.168 Cardholder 11
22.214.171.124 Card payment and (Banking) and correspondent banks 11
126.96.36.199 12 . card acceptor
188.8.131.52 Person responsible for payment 12
184.108.40.206 Card Center 13
2.2 13 . card service
2.2.1 Service concept 13
2.2.2 Service characteristics 13
2.2.3 Card service concept: 16
2.3 Card classification 17
2.4 Benefits and risks of using 18 . card service
2.4.1 Benefits of using 18 . card service
220.127.116.11 For cardholders: 18
18.104.22.168 For Bank 19
22.214.171.124 For units that accept 20 . cards
126.96.36.199 For the economy: 20
2.4.2 Some risks in the process of using card services 21
2.5 Business process of card issuance and payment 23
2.5.1 Card issuance process 23
2.5.2 Card payment process: 25
2.6 Development of card services at commercial banks 27
2.6.1 Perspectives on card service development: 27
2.6.2 Criteria for assessing the development of card services in the Bank 29
188.8.131.52 In terms of quantity 29
184.108.40.206 In terms of quality 31
2.6.3 Factors affecting the development of card services of commercial banks 32
220.127.116.11 Group of objective factors 32
18.104.22.168 Group of subjective factors 34
2.6.4 Experience in developing card services at Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam 35
CHAPTER 3: SITUATION OF DEVELOPMENT OF CARD SERVICES AT VIET A JOINT STOCK COMMERCIAL BANK 38
3.1 Overview of Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank 38
3.1.1 History of establishment and development of VietABank 38
3.1.2 Business performance 2011-2015 38
3.2 Current status of card service development at VietABank 41
3.2.1 Card products of VietABank 41
22.214.171.124 International credit card 41
126.96.36.199 Domestic debit card 41
3.2.2 VietABank card services 42
3.2.3 Solutions VAB has implemented. 42
3.2.4 The current situation of card service development at VietABank compared to the development target 43
188.8.131.52 Evaluation of card service development scale at VietABank 43
184.108.40.206 Evaluation of card service quality development 56
3.3 General assessment of the development of card services of VietABank 58
3.3.1 Results achieved 58
3.3.2 Existing problems 60
3.3.3 Cause 61
220.127.116.11 Objective reasons 61
18.104.22.168 Subjective causes 63
CHAPTER 4: RESEARCH METHODS AND RESEARCH RESULTS 65
4.1 Research Methods 66
4.2 Customer evaluation of VietABank 66 card service
4.2.1 General characteristics of current customers of VietABank 66
4.2.2 Characteristics of customers' card transactions 66
4.2.3 The degree of influence of some factors on the development of card services at VAB 69
4.2.4 Customer evaluation of VietABank card service through a number of criteria 70
22.214.171.124 Staff 70
126.96.36.199 Reputation, brand and technology of the Bank 70
188.8.131.52 Fees, procedures and procedures for card issuance 71
184.108.40.206 Promotions, customer care policies 71
220.127.116.11 Cards, ATMs and card merchants 71
18.104.22.168 Card problem 72
CHAPTER 5: SOLUTIONS FOR DEVELOPING CARD SERVICES AT VIET A COMMERCIAL BANK....... 5.1 Basis for building solutions 73
5.1.1 Potential for developing bank card services in Vietnam 73
5.1.2 Development orientation of card services of VietABank 73
22.214.171.124 For card issuance 73
126.96.36.199 For card payment service 74
188.8.131.52 Organization and people 74
184.108.40.206 About technology, technique 75
5.2 Card service development solutions organized by VietABank 75
5.2.1 Solutions for 75 . scale development
5.2.2 Expanding market share, withdrawal network and merchants 77
5.2.3 Solutions for developing card service quality 79
5.2.4 Strengthening risk management for card activities 79
5.3 Some recommendations to the Government, State Bank, State management agencies. 80
5.3.1 Promulgating a system of legal documents to protect the interests of participants 83
5.3.2 Investment in infrastructure construction 84
5.3.3 Promotion of card payment activities in Vietnam 84
5.3.4 Creating a stable socio-economic environment 84
5.3.5 Completing legal documents on card 85
5.3.6 There should be policies to encourage card business expansion 85
5.4 For 86 . card association
LIST OF ACRONYMS
1. Agribank: Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam
2. ATM: Automated Teller Machine
3. BIDV: Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam
4. CSCNT: Card-accepting establishments
5. Merchants: Card acceptors
6. NH: bank
7. Joint Stock Commercial: Joint Stock Trade
8. VAB/ VietABank: Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank
9. VCB/Vietcombank: Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam
LIST OF DIAGRAMS, TABLES, PICTURES
Diagram 2.1: 18 . card classification scheme
Figure 2.2: The process of issuing 27 . cards
Figure 2.3: Card payment process 29
Table 3.1 Some indicators reflecting business performance VAB 42
Table 3.2: General criteria for cards 2011-2015 47
Table 3.3: Number of cards issued and means of card payment 48
Table 3.4: Card business results 2011-2015 49
Table 3.5: Card account balance at the end of year 50
Table 3.6: Card data on the market at the end of December 2015 51
Table 3.7: Proportion of VAB cards in the market from 2011-2015 52
Table 3.8: Number of ATMs in the market 2015 53
Table 3.9: VAB's share of ATMs in the market from 2011-2015 54
Table 3.10: POS market share in the market in 2015 55
Table 3.11: Proportion of POS machines of VAB in the market from 2011-2015 56
Figure 3.1: Charter capital growth chart 2011-2015 42
Figure 3.2: Asset growth chart of VietABank 2011-2015 48
Figure 3.3: Chart of Business Performance 2011-2015 49
Figure 3.4: Chart of Balance Growth on Card Accounts 2011-2015 51
Figure 3.5: Chart of card market share at the end of 2015 51
Figure 3.6: Proportion of VAB cards in the market from 2011-2015 52
Figure 3.7: ATM market share in 2015 53
Figure 3.8: VAB's ratio of ATMs to the market. 54
Figure 3.9: Number of Pos machines on the market in 2015 55
Figure 3.10: VAB's share of POS machines in the market from 2011-2015 56
CHAPTER 1: OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH TOPIC
1.1 Urgency of the research topic
Today, the banking industry is considered a lifeline economic sector, of special importance, contributing to promoting the country's economic growth, in order to well perform the key tasks assigned by the Party and State. The urgent issue for the banking industry is to build a strong enough system in all areas: capacity for planning, policy implementation, capacity for administration, management, business, and public level. Modern technology and techniques adapted to the market mechanism. A commodity economy operating under a market mechanism requires rapid capital mobility. Therefore, along with the renovation of organizational mechanism, the banking industry has focused on improving the non-cash payment mode, in which Cards cannot be ignored. Cards have really become a popular means of cashless payment in the world,
Currently, in Ho Chi Minh City and other provinces, there are many banks participating in the card service market to compete for more market share when other products and services are saturated. Not out of that trend, VietABank is one of the banks with small scale, inexperienced and still having to race and promote its strengths in this service to attract more and more customers. However, as a diverse and complex business, many problems related to cards and card services at VietABank still exist, so it is important to research to have good solutions for the development of the product. card is urgent and very important. Not only ensure the growth in the number of cards issued, but also improve the quality of card services,
With the convenience that the card service brings, customers will stick with and use other services of the Bank, so VietABank can have the opportunity to compete with other small and medium-sized banks in the area, find position itself firmly in the current difficult economic conditions.
Stemming from the above reasons, the author chose the topic: "Developing card services at Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank" as the master's thesis.
1.2 Research purpose
- Researching theoretical issues about card services at commercial banks.
- Analysis and assessment of the current situation of card service development at Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank.
- Proposing some solutions to develop card services at Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank in the near future.
1.3 Academic overview:
The thesis is based on the theory of service quality and customer satisfaction;
Researching scientific works, articles, articles ... of domestic and foreign authors with content directly related to commercial banks' operations and card service development at banks This is to draw experiences in the research process, including:
- To Khanh Toan “Developing retail banking services at Vietnam Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Industry and Trade – doctoral thesis in economics 2014. Research topic on theoretical and practical basis for developing banking services retail, learn about the experience of developing this service in some countries around the world, and draw lessons from the experience for commercial banks in Vietnam. Proposed solutions to promote the development of retail banking services at Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Industry and Trade of Vietnam. However, the topic has a wide scope of research including all banking services
In general, card and card services are only a small part, so they have not been paid much attention.
- Van Tao " The reality of non-cash payment, causes and solutions " - published in Banking Magazine (No. 19/2009). The article studies the current situation of cash payment in Vietnam, points out the inconveniences of non-cash payment methods, finds out the reasons for the habit of paying in cash, and gives non-cash payment expansion solution, the results achieved, limitations of this solution and some related recommendations. The article has not yet delved into the issues of cards and card services.
- Le Thi Kim Thu “ Identifying and preventing risks of using bank cards ” - posted on the website of the Banking Association – 2013. The article mentions the risks of the Bank, including risks. Regarding card operations, problems that Vietnamese banks are facing in card issuance and payment activities, the article also offers solutions and recommendations to prevent and minimize losses. The article does not comprehensively study Cards and card services, but only focuses on issues related to card risks.
On the basis of an overview of the research situation, the researches have looked at many angles on non-cash payment activities in general and card payment activities in particular. They are not yet a comprehensive study of card service development in commercial banks. Therefore, the author chose to research this topic with the desire to clarify more about the development of card services, specifically at Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank in order to supplement professional knowledge and find solutions. solutions to help the development of card services at Viet A joint stock commercial bank achieve higher efficiency. Thereby contributing to promoting and gradually improving the management of card business in the commercial banking system, as well as the economy, creating a premise for
speeding up the payment process through banks, helping to reduce the proportion of cash in circulation, contributing to curbing inflation and social negatives.
1.4 Subjects and scope of research
- Research object: Developing card services at Viet A Commercial Joint Stock Bank.
- Scope of research on space: The topic focuses on analyzing theoretical and practical issues, customers' evaluation of card services of VietABank.
- Research scope in time: from 2011-2015
1.5 Research Methods
Qualitative, systematic, comparative, statistical, analytical, synthesis and interpretation methods to clarify the problem posed in the research process.
The data source is collected from reports of Viet A Bank Card Center, relevant journals and websites, compiled and processed by the author himself.
1.6 Practical significance of the topic
The content of the topic helps to systematize theoretical and practical issues related to cards and card services. Research on development content, influencing factors, as well as customer evaluations on card services at Viet A Joint Stock Commercial Bank, see the shortcomings and limitations in VietABank's card service development strategy, thereby offering solutions to limit the risks that may arise, hopefully the content of the topic will serve as a reference to come up with strategies to develop card services at VietABank in the near future, attracting customers. customers use card services and other services of the Bank, consolidate and expand VietABank's card market share in order to increase VietABank's competitiveness in difficult economic conditions..
1.8 Dissertation layout
In addition to the introduction and conclusion, the thesis consists of 3 chapters:
Chapter 1 : Basic issues of card and card service development at commercial banks.
Chapter 2 : Status of card service development at Viet A Joint Stock Commercial Bank.
Chapter 3 : Solutions to develop card services at Viet A Joint Stock Commercial Bank.
2 CHAPTER 2
CARD BASIC ISSUES AND CARD SERVICE DEVELOPMENT AT COMMERCIAL BANK
2.1 The formation and development of bank cards:
2.1.1 Card concept:
“ A payment instrument issued by the card issuer to customers to use under the contract signed between the card issuer and the cardholder ” (According to Article 2, Decision No. 371/1999/QD-NHNN dated 19 October 1999 on promulgating regulations on issuance, use and payment of bank cards).
2.1.2 The origin of the card
The formation and development of bank cards in the world
The bank card was randomly born in 1940 with the first name of the DINNERS CLUB card due to the idea of an American businessman, Frank Mc Namara. In 1950 the first plastic card was issued.
Cards quickly became widely used in continents other than the US, in 1960 the first plastic card appeared in Japan, signaling the development of cards in Asia. The first plastic card issued by Barcaly Bank in the UK in 1966 also ushered in an exciting period for card activities in Europe.
The formation and development of bank cards in Vietnam
In Vietnam, the first card was accepted in 1990 when Vietcombank signed a contract to be a VISA card payment agent with the French bank BFCE and this was the first step for this service to develop in Vietnam.
Today, bank cards are present all over the world with diverse forms and types, fully meeting the individual needs of customers.
consumption. Along with the development of two international card organizations, VISA and MASTER, a series of other international card organizations appeared, such as: JCB, American Express, Airplus, Maestro, Eurocard,... This strong development has confirmed the inevitable development trend of the card. Banks and financial companies are always looking for ways to make the card easier to use and provide the most convenient services for consumers. Currently, card users can use the card in most countries around the world, they no longer have to worry about converting to domestic currency when going abroad.
2.1.3 The role of the card:
220.127.116.11 For users:
Cash withdrawal :
The first and most basic ability of an ATM card is to help users withdraw cash from their accounts easily and quickly. When cardholders need to withdraw money, they just need to bring their ATM card to any nearest ATM. Customers only need to press their ATM card into the machine, enter the code and request the amount they need to withdraw, all operations take place within 30 seconds to 1 minute.
This is a service that some banks apply, allowing their customers to send money via ATM cards without having to go directly to the bank. This is a utility to improve the use value of ATM cards and at the same time create advantages for banks' ATM cards in the current card market..
Payment for services:
Users can pay family service costs such as electricity, water, telephone, internet fees, insurance premiums, and even support charity funds by transferring money via their own ATM card. me.
In addition to depositing, withdrawing money and paying for family service costs, ATM cards also have the function of transferring money at the request of customers to become fast, safe and convenient.
Safe and profitable:
ATM cards also act as a protector of customers' pockets, because only the cardholder knows the code to withdraw money. Even in case the cardholder loses his/her card, others cannot withdraw money from the account without knowing the code. A very beneficial thing for ATM card users is the interest rate on demand deposits.
18.104.22.168 For the Bank:
For central banks:
The fact that commercial banks can raise capital from opening payment accounts for ATM cards has increased the required reserve level of commercial banks at the Central Bank.
Moreover, the fact that people open accounts at banks to use ATM cards will limit the use of cash in circulation. Because the payment in cash will slow down the rotation of the currency, slowing down the development of the economy. While paying with an ATM card, with just a few steps of data entry, money has been transferred from one place to another. Moreover, the payment by transfer via ATM card will increase the ability to create capital for the bank. In addition, the non-cash payment will help the central bank reduce the burden of printing, transporting, storing and preserving cash as well as avoiding counterfeiting. Limiting the use of cash in circulation and switching to using ATM cards will help the State control more closely in tax collection of businesses as well as individuals. at the same time easily detect negative social problems such as money laundering or corruption. Moreover, the use of non-cash payment methods will help the central bank to manage the amount of money in circulation and thereby promptly make monetary policies and make timely decisions.
appropriate measures to promote the development of the economy and build a strong financial system.
For commercial banks
The card contributes to reducing cash pressure, increasing the ability to mobilize capital to serve the requirements of expanding credit activities, and increasing profits thanks to the card usage fee. Increase the Bank's control when most of the income and expenses are paid through the Bank.
Card issuers also earn profits from card issuance and other related transactions such as annual fees, salary payments, account management, bill payment services, etc.
The card paying bank collects a commission when acting as an intermediary
22.214.171.124 For enterprises:
ATM card not only brings many conveniences to individual users, but it is also a solution to the difficult problem of improving business performance by reducing the cost of paying salaries of the business. Therefore, more and more businesses are paying employees via ATM cards because of the convenience for both payers and payers.
Enterprises only need to register to open an account for their employees at the bank and transfer the company's payroll in each pay period to the bank, the bank will automatically calculate and transfer the corresponding salary to the bank's account. each employee. Help save time and costs, Manage wages well for workers
2.1.4 Subjects participating in the use of card services:
126.96.36.199 International card organization:
As an organization that unites members who are banks, credit institutions, and card issuers, setting rules that all members must apply.
uniform use under a global system. Any bank currently operating in the field of international card payment must be a member of an International Card Organization. Each International Card Organization has its name on its product. Unlike its member banks, the International Card Organization does not have a direct relationship with cardholders or card acceptors, but only provides a global telecommunications network for payment and authorization processes. member banks quickly.
188.8.131.52 Card Issuing Bank
Is a bank licensed by the State Bank to issue cards. If the bank issues international cards, it must be an official member of international card organizations. In order for the card issue to bring high economic efficiency, the issuing bank must be a reputable bank in the country as well as internationally. NHPH is responsible for:
Reviewing card issuance for cardholders, instructing cardholders on how to use cards and regulations during card usage.
Direct debit to cardholder's account for debit cards when customers make withdrawals at ATMs, withdrawal agents or pay for purchases at CSCNTs.
If the issuing bank performs credit card operations, it is also responsible for:
- Immediately pay the amount on the invoice transferred by the correspondent bank when this bank strictly follows the procedures prescribed by the issuing bank. In addition, licensing for over-the-counter payment transactions through the data center is also required.
- Refund the deposit if the cardholder does not use all of the money card
- Periodically make a statement clearly stating the specific amounts used and requested
- Provide items used for card advertising purposes to dealers
withdrawal and CSCNT of the bank.
- Developing banking services at Nam Viet Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 1
- Developing card services at Asia Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 1
- Completing the credit rating system of corporate customers at Lien Viet Post Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 1
- Evaluation of customer satisfaction for service quality at Saigon Commercial Joint Stock Bank after consolidation - 1
- Building business strategy for Prosperity Joint Stock Commercial Bank - 1
Send a message
- Solutions to promote the efficiency of lending activities for individual customers at Military Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 1
- Solutions to promote the efficiency of consumer lending activities at Saigon Thuong Tin Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 1
- Evaluation of loan service quality for individual customers at National Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 1
- Solutions to promote lending activities for small and medium enterprises at Tien Phong Commercial Joint Stock Bank - 1
- Solutions to limit bad debt in real estate lending at Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Investment and Development - 1
- Solution to complete international payment activities by documentary credit method at Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam, Vung Tau branch - 1
- Research on the impact of loan portfolios on profitability of joint stock commercial banks - 1
- Factors affecting the ability to access bank credit of enterprises listed on the stock market - 1
- Promotional communication solution for Success card of Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development - 1
- The main solution to improve the quality of short-term loans for small and medium-sized enterprises at Bank for Investment and Development - 1
- Improving the quality of consumer loans at Industry and Trade Bank - 1
- Research on the impact of real estate prices on bank credit - 1
- Developing tourism products in Da Nang city
- The influence of corporate social responsibility on the loyalty of customers depositing money at Vietnamese commercial banks - 1
- Factors affecting liquidity risk of Vietnamese commercial banks - 1
- Ownership structure and business performance of Vietnamese commercial banks - 1
- Bank lending channel and monetary policy transmission in Vietnam - 1
- The transmission from the interest rate policy of the State bank to the deposit and lending rates at Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam - 1
- Completing the credit rating system of Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development of Vietnam - 1
- What is the Binance Stop limit order? How to set a stop limit order on Binance
- Is StormGain legit or a scam? StormGain reviews
- Managing the teaching of Cham characters to Cham people in Ham Thuan Bac district, Binh Thuan province
- How to register for a Binance account?
- How to view saved wifi password on phone without root
- How to get wifi password on Samsung without root
- How to connect to wifi without password. View wifi master key password
- Vietnamese linking grammar model
- Statements containing the act of asking questions in business communication in Vietnamese
- Research on the application of exhaust heat for refrigeration and air conditioning - 1
- Agricultural cooperative development in Dak Lak province - 1
- Research on methods of indexing and searching for applied text information in libraries - Do Quang Vinh - 1
- The scientific factor in the productive force with the development of science and technology in Da Nang City - 1
- Activities of Legal Aid Center - Through Practice in Hai Phong City
- Agricultural development in Nam Giang district, Quang Nam province - 1
- Evaluation of geographical conditions and resources serving tourism territorial organization of Vinh Phuc province - 1
- Some solutions to help students and students of Can Tho College study well and love the subject of National Education - AN - 1
- How to invest in Bitcoin with a lot of profit. Ways to make profit from Bitcoin